Mild Behavior Impairment (MBI) can be an early manifestation of the dementia process, associating with biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative conditions, in advance of cognitive decline in some.
Dr. Zahinoor Ismail at the University of Calgary, together with ISTAART colleagues, created the Mild Behavioral Impairment Checklist (MBI-C). The MBI-C can help clinicians note changes in longstanding patterns of behaviour or personality that can be symptoms of incident cognitive decline and dementia. The MBI-C can identify disease severity, with MBI-C scores increasing from subjective cognitive decline to mild cognitive impairment, to dementia.
AREAS OF APPLICATION
- Clinical trials
- Research studies
- Clinical diagnosis, treatment, and management
- Case ascertainment instrument for Mild Behavioral Impairment, based on the ISTAART-AA diagnostic criteria
- Early identification of patients at risk of developing Alzheimer’s and other dementias
- Designed to be used by family members and caregivers of older adults making it easy to comprehend and apply.
STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT
- Validated in multiple observational cohorts internationally.
- Over 20 language translations are available and several in validation.
- Ismail Z, Agüera-Ortiz L, Brodaty H, Cieslak A, Cummings J, Fischer CE, Gauthier S, Geda YE, Herrmann N, Kanji J, et al., 2017. The Mild Behavioural Impairment Checklist (MBI-C): A Rating scale for neuropsychiatric symptoms in pre-dementia populations. Journal of Alzheimer’s disease. 56(3): 929-938. DOI: 10.3233/JAD-160979
- Kassam F, Chen H, Nosheny RL, et al. Cognitive profile of people with mild behavioral impairment in Brain Health Registry participants [published online ahead of print, 2022 Feb 8]. Int Psychogeriatr. 2022;1-10. doi:10.1017/S1041610221002878
- Lussier FZ, Pascoal TA, Chamoun M, et al. Mild behavioral impairment is associated with β-amyloid but not tau or neurodegeneration in cognitively intact elderly individuals. Alzheimers Dement. 2020;16(1):192-199. doi:10.1002/alz.12007
- Ismail Z, Smith EE, Geda Y, Sultzer D, Brodaty H, Smith G, Agüera-Ortiz L, Sweet R, Miller D, Lyketsos CG; ISTAART Neuropsychiatric Symptoms Professional Interest Area. 2016. Neuropsychiatric symptoms as early manifestations of emergent dementia: Provisional diagnostic criteria for mild behavioral impairment. Alzheimers Dement. 12(2):195-202. DOI: 10.1016/j.jalz. 2015.05.017
- Mallo S, Ismail Z, Pereiro AX, Facal D, Lojo-Seoane C, Campos-Magdaleno M, Juncos-Rabadán Onésimo. 2018. Assessing Mild Behavioral Impairment with the Mild Behavioral Impairment-Checklist in people with Subjective Cognitive Decline. International Psychogeriatrics. 18:1-9. DOI: 10.1017/S1041610218000698
- Mallo S, Ismail Z, Pereiro AX, Facal D, Lojo-Seoane C, Campos-Magdaleno M, Juncos-Rabadán Onésimo. 2018. Assessing Mild Behavioral Impairment with the Mild Behavioral Impairment-Checklist in people with Mild Cognitive Impairment. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. Epub. DOI: 10.3233/JAD-180131